Spaghetti and Meatballs is a favourite pasta dish of ours, made with a combination of pork and beef (or veal) mince into meatballs in a passata sauce. So tasty with a hint of lemon.
- 1 pkt of spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 heaped teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1 jar of Passata sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh herbs – parsley, basil and shallots
- 2 heaped teaspoons of beef stock and 200 ml water
- parmesan cheese to serve
- 500gm beef or veal mince
- 500gm pork mince
- 2 sliced of bread turned into breadcrumbs
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1 lemon
- Add olive oil to a heated skillet and add the garlic, 1 diced onion and shallots. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add the jar of Passata Sauce.
- Add the beef stock mixed in with the water.
- Bring to a boil and leave to simmer while you make the meatballs.
- Mix the pork and beef or veal mince together with 1 finely diced onion, chopped basil and parsley,
- Zest the lemon being careful not to go to far as the white part of the skin is bitter and add to the meat mix.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Halve the lemon and squeeze both halves of the juice into the meat mixture.
- Add the breadcrumbs.
- Mix all together and start making golf ball size meatballs
- Gently add them to the Passata Sauce mix and leave to cook on a medium simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes then carefully turn over any that look like they may need it for a further 5 to 10 minutes.
- Boil water for the pasta with a dash of olive oil in it.
- Add the pasta and cook to al dente. Usually about 10 minutes check instructions on packet.
- Drain pasta.
- Serve pasta and with the meatballs and sauce and top with parmesan cheese.