This is so super easy and a low calorie way of making a vegetarian lasagna. Basically it is just building layers in your slow cooker, turning it on high for 4 hours and allowing it to sit for a bit to soak up any excess moisture before you dig in. It tastes even better the next day and also freezes well. If you have plans for the day you can also cook it on low for 8 hours.
Serves approx 8
- Latina Fresh Lasagna Sheets
- 1 jar passata sauce
- 200g feta cheese, cubed
- 1 tub soft ricotta light cheese
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- wedge of kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 to 3 large zucchini, sliced
- 300gm baby spinach
- fresh basil and parsley (if you have it), chopped
- approx 6 – 8 medium size button mushrooms, sliced
- approx 100 gm tasty cheese or mozarella, grated
- parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
There are no hard and fast rules for this, you can even choose other vegetables like sweet potato, eggplant, potatoes, yellow squash etc. Just start with pasta sauce, lasagna sheet and vegetable layer, repeat. Remembering to add the feta ricotta mix as a layer in there somewhere, and finish with the pasta sauce and cheese sprinkled across the top.
This is the method for the one we made:
- Mix the feta, ricotta, eggs, salt and pepper together in a bowl/jug ready to add later.
- Lightly spray the slow cooker with oil.
- Add 1/4 jar of Passata to bottom of slow cooker.
- Add first layer of fresh lasagna sheets, then add 1/2 the pumpkin followed by 1/2 the zucchini and second layer of lasagna sheets.
- Add 1/4 jar of passata sauce, half the baby spinach, mushrooms and another layer of lasagna sheet.
- Add the rest of the pumpkin and zucchini and lasagna sheets.
- Add the feta ricotta mix, followed by the rest of the spinach and herbs.
- Top with final layer of lasagna sheet, the rest of the passata, spread the grated cheese over the top and sprinkle liberally with parmesan cheese.
- Cover and put the slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
- Finally let it sit for 30 to 40 minutes to let any moisture soak in before serving.