This is an easy Fried Rice recipe with lots of vegetables, is very adaptable and can be eaten as a main or a side dish. Basically you can add as many or as little vegetables, meat and or prawns as you like. Best made with left over refrigerated cooked rice from the day before or cooked rice that has been refrigerated for a few hours.
Serves 4 as a main.
- 1 cup of long grain rice that has been cooked earlier – this makes approx 2 cups of cooked rice.
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion diced
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 6 mushrooms (optional)
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2/3 cup of mixed frozen peas and corn
- shallots (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tbl spoon fish sauce or oyster sauce
- 1 tbl spoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of chinese five spice
- pepper to taste
Note: You can also add cooked chicken, prawns, ham and other vegetables like broccoli and capsicum. A little bit of peanut oil or sesame oil also adds a nice flavour.
- Add a little oil to a frying pan/wok and heat
- Crack the 2 eggs and beat then tip into the pan/wok and cook quickly like an omelette, remove and set aside once it is cooked.
- Add more oil to the pan and sauté the onion, bacon and diced vegetables.
- Pre-cook the frozen corn and peas in the microwave in a little bit of water for 2 minutes, drain and add to the rest of the vegetables.
- The vegetable mix should cook for about 10 minutes in total before adding the cooked rice in approx 2/3 of a cup at a time and mix through so the rice seperates.
- Add the chopped up egg omelette to the mix.
- Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, chinese five spice and dash of pepper if desired. Your Fried Rice is then ready to serve.
Note: Serve with some extra soy sauce to taste.