We love this creamy Fettuccine Carbonara with ham, onions, shallots, cheese and optional mushrooms. It is rich, delightful and oh so satisfying but probably not the best dish to have if you are on a diet. It can be ready in as little as 20 minutes if you boil the jug for the water for the pasta.
- 1 pkt Fettuccine – we prefer Barilla Fettuccine
- 600ml thickened cream
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- 50 g pizza cheese or tasty cheese – pizza cheese is usually a blend of 3 or 4 different types of cheese including mozzarella.
- 200 gm of good quality ham, in small strips or diced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion
- Fresh herbs, chopped finely – hand full of parsley, chives and shallots
- 100gm button mushrooms, sliced – optional
- Boil the water and cook the fettuccine – we generally add a teaspoon of salt and a dash of oil to the boiling water.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onions, mushrooms and herbs for a few minutes whilst you make the sauce mix in the next step.
- In a jug add the cream, eggs, cheeses and salt & pepper to taste and mix through to form the base of the sauce.
- Add the diced ham to the sauté mix and turn to low until the pasta is cooked.
- Strain the pasta and add the sauté mix and the cream mix.
- Let sit for a few minutes and the pasta will soak up some of the sauce. Then it is ready to serve.
Note: You can use bacon instead of ham, and we have made it with both options but we prefer the ham in this recipe. You can also add garlic.