This tasty chicken casserole relies on Cream of Celery Soup as the flavour base along with some fresh vegetables to enhance it. Great comfort food served with boiled rice or noodles.
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced or chunks, or use 1 pre-cooked chicken
- white wine or chicken stock or water approx 1/2 cup to poach chicken fillets
- 1 tin Campbells Cream of Celery Soup
- 1 tin Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 onions, sliced or diced
- 3 carrots, sliced or diced
- 4 sticks celery, sliced or diced
- 8 large button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red capsicum, diced or strips
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
Serves 5 – 6
- Preheat oven to 180 to 200 C
- If using chicken fillets cook them in the microwave for approx 6 to 8 minutes in the chosen liquid as mentioned above. The chicken doesn’t need to be fully cooked as it will continue to cook in the casserole.
- If using a pre-cooked chicken pull all the meat off the bones.
- Add cooked chicken to the casserole dish including the stock or wine juice if you used chicken fillets.
- Add the vegetables, the tins of soup and salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix together and cover with a lid or foil and place in the oven.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft approx 45 to 60 minutes. Depends on the size of cut vegetables.
- Last add the mayonnaise, stir and serve with boiled rice or noodles.
Note: We have made this in the slow cooker but prefer the oven as less moisture is added to the sauce base which we found diluted the flavour. I have also boiled whole chickens and then used the meat for this dish, a healthy way to do it. The stock can then be used for soup.