Béchamel Sauce is a classic white sauce that can be used in a variety of different recipes from lasagne to mornays. The sauce is made with a roux of butter and flour cooked in milk. It can be used as a simple white sauce or with cheese depending on the recipe you are making. This recipe makes enough for a large lasagne.
- 10 tablespoons of plain flour
- 125 gm of butter
- 750 ml of milk
- 1/2 cup of pizza cheese or tasty cheese
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in saucepan. Take off the heat while you add the flour and return to a low heat and stir/whisk for 2 mins. Return to a medium heat and gradually add the milk about 1/2 cup at a time continuing to stir to form a smooth sauce. Stir/whisk white sauce until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and add the grated cheese, giving it a good stir.