These Zucchini and Potato Pancakes have to be one of the cheapest meals you could make, they are also known as fritters and rosti. I think the recipe originates from Germany or Romani. This was a favourite for an easy dinner with my daughters. It also makes a great breakfast with a side of bacon.
Serves 2 – Double ot triple the quantities to serve more people. If batter needs more moisture add a dash of milk.
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Potato
- 1 small finely diced onion
- fresh herbs like parsley, chives and or shallots
- 1 tablespoon Self Raising Flour for a fluffier fritter, pancake style – or use plain flour for a rosti style
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil for cooking
Note: Optional – add a grated carrot. You can also spice this up with some herbs or spices like curry powder, paprika, oregano or chilli.
- Grate the potato and zucchini and add to a mixing bowl, if there is a lot of moisture lightly squeeze the mix and tip out the excess liquid.
- Add the diced onion, herbs, salt & pepper, flour and egg.
- Mix and place heaped tablespoons into a heated fying pan lighlty covered in oil.
- Cook until golden brown on each side – approx 7 to 10 minutes for first side and 5 – 7 minutes for 2nd side.
- Serve by themselves or with tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce, sour cream, cream cheese or yoghurt.