Our creamy White Onion Sauce recipe based on a Béchamel Sauce can be made in the microwave as we have done here or in the traditional way on the stove top. This sauce is perfect for serving on top of Slow Cooked Corned Beef.
Serves 4 – 6
- 60g butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup of plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh parsley finely chopped – optional
- Add the butter and onion to microwave jug/bowl and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour to the butter mix and stir well this is called making a roux.
- Slowly add the milk a bit at a time stirring it in each time.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Put it back in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes, take it out and give it a good stir, then cook for another 1 minute, again stir, another 1 minute and stir. It should be thick and ready or close to being ready at this stage. May need another 30 seconds depending on your microwave.
Note: Always keep an eye on it while cooking in the microwave as these type of sauces can bubble up and overflow. If it looks like it will overflow, stop and stir.