Quick, easy recipe for whipping up a batch of scones with juicy sultanas for morning or afternoon tea. This is a great recipe for the kids to help with as well.
Makes 8 large on 16 small scones
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 75 grams of butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk
- large handful of sultanas
- Preheat oven to 220 C.
- Add the flour, sugar and butter in chunks to a mixing bowl or food processor. Rub by hand until the mixture resembles a fine crumb or pulse for 30 seconds in processor.
- Add the egg and most of the most of the milk leaving a little in case it is too much, mix to a soft dough, add the rest of the milk if it is required. The dough should be smooth and not sticky, you can add a little more flour if it is required.
- Work into the dough a large handful of sultanas approx 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
- Press or roll the dough out to about 3cm in thickness.
- Using a round cutter or a glass dipped in flour cut scones into circles and place on a greased or lined baking tray.
- Brush lightly with milk – optional, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve with butter or jam and cream. Best eaten warm or on the same day.