This is an easy way to cook a traditional Roast Chicken in the oven with seasoning. We make seasoning in a variety of ways today we went with a sweeter style using apricot jam and Cobram Lemon Infused Olive Oil to combine the breadcrumbs and herbs. After the chicken was cooked we make an easy gravy using the left over juices in the roasting pan and some Gravox Traditional Gravy powder.
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion
- 4 slices of bread – preferably a few days old
- herbs – we used parsley and basil out of the herb garden and dried italian herbs
- apricot jam – 1 tablespoon – optional
- olive oil – we used Cobram Lemon Infused Olive Oil – I have seen this for sale in Coles Supermarkets.
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Cut the onion into quarters if using a food processor.
- Add the bread in chunks to processor.
- Add the herbs, pepper, apricot jam and 1 tablespoon olive oil pulse to combine.
- Stuff the chicken.
- Coat the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle some salt on.
- Bake in oven for approx 90 min – for a medium size chicken, allow another 10 – 20 minutes for a large chicken. As a guide about 30 minutes per 500 grams.
Note: If you do not have a food processor you can make the stuffing by hand, dice the onion finely, make bread crumbs out of the bread with fingers and add the rest of the ingredients.