The recipe for this Pasta Bean Salad originally came from my mother. The combination of flavours meld well together with the gherkin and Italian dressing giving it a nice tang compared to the taste and texture of the beans. It is a really easy one and goes along way when feeding a lot of people at a party or BBQ which are very popular here in Australia.
- 1/2 to 1 packet of pasta spirals, elbows, penne etc.
- 1 teaspoon of salt – optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil – optional
- 1 400gm tin of Edgells 4 Bean Mix, drained
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 cup gherkins, diced
- 1/4 bottle Italian Dressing or Italian Balsamic Dressing
- Boil pasta for recommended time in water with optional salt and oil, then drain in colander under cold water to wash away excess starch and cool the pasta down.
- Place pasta in a salad bowl and add the beans, celery and gherkins.
- Stir in the salad dressing but if you aren’t eating straight away reserve at least 1/2 of the dressing until you are ready to eat it, as the pasta will soak some of the dressing up
Note: Can be made the day before needed and lasts well for a few days in the fridge. You can also add corn kernels, fresh parsley and finely diced capsicum.