Our cottage pie has it all, meat and vegetables, lovely mashed potato and freezes well for those days you simply do not want to cook. We make a large batch and separate it into 2 or 3 casserole dishes. One to eat now and some for later.
Serves at least 8 to 12.
- 2 kilos of potatoes
- enough milk and butter to mash potatoes to desired taste
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 kilo mince steak
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- frozen peas, corn, beans – approx 2 cups all together
- tin tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon bbq sauce
- 1 heaped teaspoon Continental beef stock powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or some fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Boil the potatoes in water with 1 teaspoon of salt for about 15 minutes until soft then mash with butter and milk and set aside to top the mince dish.
- Sauté the onions, carrots and zucchini for a few minutes then add the mince, break it up so it is nice and fine and cook until brown approx 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the tin tomatoes and frozen vegetables.
- In a jug add all the Sauce mixture ingredients and mix together then add to the mince and vegetables and cook for approx 10 more minutes. If mixture looks like it needs a bit more moisture you can add 1/2 cup of water.
- Separate your meat mixture into casserole dishes – we used 2 or 3 so we can freeze some for during the working week.
- Top with the mashed potatoes and gently spread it out, a fork is useful to do this.
- Sprinkle cheese topping over the top.
- Cook in oven on 180 C for about 30 minutes until golden brown. Freeze any leftover casserole containers for no time to cook days.
Ready to eat