Spaghetti Bolognese and Lasagna are amongst our favourite dishes. This rich tomato, tasty bolognese sauce recipe, with mushrooms and red wine, freezes well and there is always some in our freezer just waiting to feed a hungry mob. You can serve it over a variety of pasta types eg. spaghetti, fettucini, spirals etc. It is also the base for our Lasagna.
Serves 4 – we usually double the ingredients and freeze some.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 kilo premium minced beef
- 1 spanish onion
- 4 medium size button mushrooms – optional
- 1/2 red capsicum – optional
- salt & pepper
- 1 jar spagetti sauce – passata or your favourite supermarket brand
- 1 tin diced tomatoes – the one we used already contained basil and oregano
- 1 heaped teaspoon sweet paprika – optional
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce – optional
- 1 cup red wine
Options: You can also add carrots, celery and zucchini if you want to add some vegetables to your meat sauce. Chopped up fine they make a tasty addition and an easy way to get fussy children to eat vegetables.
- Sauté the diced capsicum, mushrooms. onions and garlic in the olive oil.
- Add the mince beef and stir often, until lightly brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 1 and half hours.
Note: If you are in a hurry you don’t have to cook it for this length of time, but the longer you leave it the richer the sauce will get.