Apple Crumble is a super easy dessert that everyone loves and is very popular in our family. You can use tin apples or peeled sliced fresh apples and you can use your fingers for the crumble or a processor. If you are catering for a large amount of people just increase the amounts. We find this an easy dessert for parties and family get-togethers. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- 800g tin of pie apples
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of white sugar
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of plain flour
Notes: You can use fresh apples cored, peeled and sliced in place of the tin of apples. I remember this recipe by thinking 1, 2, 3 – 1/3 cup of butter, 2/3 sugar and 3/3 flour.
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons of sugar
- Place the butter, sugar and flour in a processor and pulse for approx 20 seconds to make the crumble, or you can put the ingredients in a bowl and use your fingers to rub it all through and turn into a crumble.
- Empty apples into a baking dish and level out, sprinkle some cinnamon on top.
- Pour the crumble on top and softly press down so it is even.
- Bake in oven 180 C until golden brown approx 40 minutes but check after 30.
- Add the ingredients for whipped cream into a bowl and using a hand mixer, beat until soft peaks are formed.
Served with whipped cream or ice cream.
Note: My great grandmother always put cloves in this dish but we prefer to leave them out and just go with cinnamon.